sudden hind quarter paralysis

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

sudden hind quarter paralysis

Postby 2doghouse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Today, out of the blue, my 7 year old Maltese, Bailey is unable to use her hind legs. One minute she was walking and the next minute her back legs are stiff and she can't hold herself up. She doesn't appear to be sick but she can't walk. Has anyone out there experienced this problem with their Maltese? Could she have slipped a disc in her back? I called the vet and they just said to keep an eye on her. Is this normal?
2doghouse

Re: sudden hind quarter paralysis

Postby MyMalteseKid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Am sorry that Bailey is going through this. No, this isn't normal. It could be an issue with a disk. It could possibly be something like lymes, a bug bite, could mean a number of things, etc. If you can call your vet back and ask him/her what it could be other then keeping an eye on her. I'm surprised that's all your vet said instead of seeing Bailey - gggrrr

Do you have an emergency animal clinic near you. If so, can you take her there? Please keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts to Bailey.
MyMalteseKid

Postby mybella » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 am

Please, get a new Vet!!!!

Mybella
mybella

Postby jasper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 am

I had this happen with my male last fall. We were outside with BOTH dogs for over an hour. We sat with neighbors for a half hour, then continued our walk. We came home and within five minutes he looked aimlessly, threw up violently, then focused into my eyes, then the back swayed and collapsed. He looked at me helplessly. It last over 15 minute before I took him directly to the emergency vet (of course it happened at night!). They ended up keeping him overnight, but by the time we got there (w/in 15 minutes thereafter), he was walking into the vet! Anyway, ended up five other dogs in neighborhood had similar issues (mostly vomiting and odd symptoms). The landscapers had put down a chemical on the lawns earlier that day. It had not been used before and they had not flagged the lawns to notify anyone. In my circumstance it was temporary and he was fine by the time we got him the next day.
jasper

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 pm

It could be Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD). My 3 year old has it. She hasn't had complete paralysis yet but they just said to crate rest her and there isn't anything they can do until the dog stops moving their back legs. The best thing to do is have your dog checked by someone who is aware of this disease and to keep the dog from jumping on things.

Postby saddened » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Our dog Oliver will be 3 years old on October 12. A week and half ago we woke up and he was walking around with his back hunched over and would yelp in pain when he was touched. Took him to the vet and they said there is nothing wrong with him. We brought him home with some pain meds and he was fine. A week later, we woke up on Tuesday morning and he was doing this behavior again. We took him to the vet and this time they did xrays. He has Intervertebral Disc Disease. He is not even 3!! We are heartbroken by this. He is now on Metacam for inflammation, Tramdaol for pain, and Methacarbamol for muscle relaxation. The vet said he is in the early stages and he needs to be crate rested for 4 weeks. Well he is use to being in the cage all day while we are working but if we are home he wants no part of the crate. He will run in circles and bark for hours on end in the crate and jump up in the cage. so the vet said if he is calm he can sleep in our bed. SO he has been sleeping with us (like normal) and we've been keeping him ona leash at all times while he is eating and pottying. The vet says in 4 weeks it should be healed up and he can return to normal activity with still no jumping or stairs ever again! Has anyone else experienced this?? We dont know what is next. We are thinking of getting a 2nd opinion b/c I just cant understand how this came on so suddenly. Does this IVDD mean he will go paralyzed? Does it mean he has to be in the kennel for the rest of his life? What kind of a life is this for him? Is it worth making him have a cart for his paralyzed legs if it comes down to that point. My husbands parents have 5 cocker spaniels and my parents have a shih tzu (both breeds this commonly occurs in) and they have had no problems with their dogs. Is IVDD a hereditary thing from bad breeding? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We need to shed some light on this horrible disease.
saddened

Postby MyMalteseKid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:16 pm

I am sorry that Oliver is dealing with this issue. They do say that cage rest is best along with medications if it is not to severe in the beginning. Also no jumping, etc. Some dogs do recover. If surgery is needed ask your vet how many of this type procedure he has done and the outcome of them. If I were you I would go for a 2nd opinion as soon as you can.

Read as much as you can about IVDD so that you can ask the vets all questions you will have. Pets can live a long and happy life even if a cart is needed. I hope that Oliver will never need one. It just takes your TCL to get them through it. I will keep Oliver in my thoughts...Please let us know how your boy is doing.
MyMalteseKid

Postby Amanda » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 am

Hi, how ironic. I was searching the symptoms and found your concern. We are going through the exact same thing with our five yr. old male maltese. We have been dealing with this all summer. Our vet said he has the disc disease which is common for this breed. We can opt for sx. which will cost 5,ooo dollars, which isn't a guarantee. We have limited his activity and he seems to get better for awhile and then relapses. I do believe it is worse this time. As of this morning, it looks like his back is crooked and arched. You can tell he isn't feeling well. I gave him pain meds and an anti-inflammatory. Very sad. It's very hard to see their suffering. I don't know what to do either. Amanda
Amanda

Postby racebud99 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi all, Our maltese, Salsa has had surgery for an ruptured disc 9 wks ago. She is probably at about 60% of her old self. She can walk with an slight wobble, she tries to run but her back legs can't keep up. She can control her bowel movements and such. Its been pretty sad, though we love her the same but her little spirit is not the same. Hopefully she will continue to improve, but I don't expect much more of an improvement. The surgery was expensive and has helped to some degree, we don't know how she would be with out it, I don't know if I would recommend it. I would do anything for her, being an empty nester, she is our baby I just wish I could do more. Her symptoms are exactly what yours were suddenly and out of the blue. Sorry, wishing you the best.
racebud99

Postby bita » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:36 am

First of all, my heart goes out to all of you that have gone through this.
My dog Gia too is suddenly going through something so strange. It seems so sudden but in hind sight it took a couple of weeks. She was behaving strangely but because she has epilepsy and Fanconi disease I was just keeping an eye out for those symptoms. Well she suddenly seemed to be in quite a bit of pain.
After 2 visits with the vet, they decided to put her on anti inflammatory, a pain killer and a muscle relaxer. She seems to be in so much pain and I too was told to put her on cage rest. Well she is definitely not used to this and finds a way to sneak out of her cage during the day. And at night forget it! She whines till I put her on the bed with me. So I have succumbed to the sleeping part but will find a way to keep her caged during the day. Does the cage rest actually help her heel back to normal of is this just so she won't get worse? I can't stand to see her in so much pain.
She hasn't been diagnosed but it sounds a lot like the Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD).
If this is the diagnosis, will she get better. Is the only way she will get better surgery? What are my options?
I really hope that there is a way for her to pull through this.
If anyone has any answers for me I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Bita
bita

Next

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs