Skin turning brown (spots are not hard)

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
chaz

Skin turning brown (spots are not hard)

Postby chaz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

I have a 5 month old and he is getting brown spots on his skin (they are not hard). My vet said that all his skin will turn brown...is this correct? I thought Maltese had pink skin. We are on the boat a lot, but I use dog sun screen. Should I look for a new vet or is he correct? He's being "fixed" next month and I want to make sure I'm going to a good vet! Thanks!

MyMalteseKid

Re: Skin turning brown (spots are not hard)

Postby MyMalteseKid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:49 pm

What you are seeing is probably the pigmentation of the skin. There are many Maltese with this coloring mostly on their tummy's and also on the body. Sometimes it's called freckling. Sunlight can affect it more bringing out the different coloring. The darker patches vary in size and shape.

When boating and you think your little one has been in the sun to long you can try putting a human baby's oneies on him to help block out the sun. Genetics can also be another cause of the coloring.

To ease your mind get a 2nd opinion with another Vet and if he explains the pigmentation I would stay with that vet.

Enjoy your Little One.

MyMalteseKid

Postby MyMalteseKid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 pm

What you are seeing is probably the pigmentation of the skin. There are many Maltese with this coloring mostly on their tummy's and also on the body. Sometimes it's called freckling. Sunlight can affect it more bringing out the different coloring. The darker patches vary in size and shape. They should also be flat to the skin and not raised up.

When boating and you think your little one has been in the sun to long you can try putting a human baby's oneies on him to help block out the sun.

To ease your mind get a 2nd opinion with another Vet and if he explains the pigmentation I would stay with that vet.

chaz

Postby chaz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:37 am

Thank you so much for your reply. You definitely answered my question....I just thought the skin was always pink...now I know. I love the idea of the oneies...we live in Florida and we're in the sun a lot. Thanks again MyMalteseKid! Have a great day!

seedrake

Postby seedrake » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am

Chaz, this is normal, however, I never heard of all the skin turning brown. My dog as the spots all over his body but most of his skin is pink. Like Mymaltesekid says, they are differnt shapes and sizes and usally the more sun they get the darker they will turn. My dog has one of them on his "bottom" and after he's groomed it looks like he has a dirty butt. Don't be concered!

lakeyjakey

Postby lakeyjakey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi, My dog developed a few spots on his back quite awhile ago. We call them his "giraffe" freckles. Not sure why they developed. Of course, show them to the Vet the next time your dog is in for a check-up. But, probably, they are nothing--unless they become itchy, inflamed, flaky, and bothersome. And, in my case, they are not sun-related and it's just part of the dog's unique "print".

chaz

Postby chaz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks to all of you. "Giraffe freckles" perfectly describes how he looks....ha!ha! I'm so happy to hear it's nothing to worry about. These little dogs are the best...aren't they? I just can't get enough of him!!! Take care all! Sher & Chaz

DENIDEIL

Postby DENIDEIL » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 am

My dog 9m old have this spots too, but on nec from this spots mats grows a litle bite brown too... Is it normal?

ScooterT1

Postby ScooterT1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Hello everyone. Good to be back with the forum. I lost little Sophie about 5 months ago related to a collapsed trachea and cancer growth on the back of her tongue. I knew only another Malt would ease the pain and did not wait long for another wonderful journey. So many said I was to old, but she has been the exact thing I needed in my life. She definitely has her own personality and not the easy and gentle pup Sophia was!!! Thought she would be just like Sophie, but no way!!! I jokingly call her my devil dog. Is bigger than Sophie (mostly long bodied) and I hope being bigger will help to have fewer problems!! She is now 5 months old and very healthy so far and plan to have her hysterectomy next month. Saw the post about the brown spots and thought Jolee' was the only pup with these brown spots on her body!! She also has a darker spot near her anal area and it looks like a dingle berry!! So funny. Glad to see that it is possible for Maltese to have these spots. Will still have her vet look at it when she goes in for her surgery. It's so wonderful to have a healthy pup.Sophie was perfect in every way but with so many ailments. Now she is in Rainbow Bridge frolicking around with all the other doggies and waiting for me when I come for her. So good to be back. This is a wonderful forum and all of you are so helpful and supportive. Jolee's registered name is Jolee' Ongelle (French for Beautiful Angel).

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”