To sallyjodo -
My wife and I have a very loving, intelligent, and affectionate 8 year old male Maltese, “Buddy" who came down with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) this past December 2009. I have read just about every web site and blogs to see if I could find some common threads between what Buddy is going through with the hope of finding any owners out there who may have experienced a similar situation. Please post a response so my wife and I can mentally prepare ourselves for what may not be a good outcome.
Buddy's story goes like this - on 11/7/09 we took him in for his Rabies Canine, 3 yr shot. Then on 11/10/09 he got his DHLLP, 3 year booster and Bordetella annual. Up until December 12th Buddy showed no signs of distress but on Sunday the 13th (30 days later) at about 1 AM in the morning Buddy threw up twice. Since he was a puppy Science Diet dry was his favorite food until they changed ed the formula several years ago and we had to try SD soft, which he enjoyed. So we were somewhat confused at the time atas to why he threw up.
Buddy has the run of the house and is trained to go on puppy pads that we leave in the kitchen during the day just in case. When I got home from work on Monday the 14th of December his urine was dark orange in color, his head and tail were down and stool was soft. Immediately I called our vet and they suggested making an appointment for the next day, I could not take that chance and took him that evening. The vet suggested he stay overnight for observation and tests, we agreed. That evening they drew blood and the results were not good at all. RBC, HCT, HGB, AMYL, PLT, BUN, TP, and GLOB all were in the low range. Based on this the vet explained that he may have IMHA and wanted to submit a blood sample for a COMBS test which did come back positive. The next 5 days he remained in the care of our vet and the meds given to him were Metoclopramide, Presiodone, Doxycycline, and Carafate Suspension. During this time they took blood wanting to see what his PCV (packed cell volume) indic and at this time it was 19%. We were able to bring him home Friday the 18th and continued to give him his meds every 12 hours. At this point the vet was cautiously optimist that he may survive and if I had waited till the next day the outcome would have been very different.
We took him back on the 21st of December for a PCV test and it was 19%, he was maintaining and headed in the right direction. Again on the 28th of December another PCV test was given and this time it increased to 21%. I told the vet, with tears in my eyes, this was the best possible Christmas present my wife and I could have ever hoped for. Another PCV test was given on the 11th of January and it increased to a 43% which was great news. The vet decreased his meds and is only on Presiodone every 24 hours verses 12 hours. His next PCV test will be done on February the 15th. He is not out of the woods yet because I have read that once they are taken off of the Presiodone the IMHA could possibly return. Hopefully it will not!
It is now January the 30th and as I sit here in my recliner typing this with Buddy lying at my feet, I can only imagine how heavy our hearts would have felt if he had died at the vets. Now that he is home with us we see more of his personality as each day passes.
To all who took the time to read this, my intention was not to rekindle any hurtful memories but to tell our story and please whatever you do, do not give up hope if your loved one ever becomes ill. Give them every possible chance of surviving; do not wait one minute get to your vet immediately.
In closing, our prayers and thoughts go out to all who have experienced losing one of their beloved companions. If Buddy loses the battle, my wife and I have decided to have him cremated so he can remain with us forever. That’s Buddy’s story and I will post his PCV results in February. Take care!mljmp1346
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm