Luxating patella, surgery or not

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
seedrake

Re: Luxating patella, surgery or not

Postby seedrake » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Sir Winston had his surgery four days ago. Everything went very well. Today he started to use his leg a little to walk on so it must be starting to feeling a little better. He has to wear the CONE and does not like it one bit! I so much want him back to normal. I miss our walks togeather so much!
Thanks.

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 am

Glad to hear Winston is doing well. Don't rush his recovery. Scooter is almost 6 weeks out now and his biggest problem is that he's had quite a bit of atrophy in that thigh muscle so I'm putting him in a very deep tub and giving him water therapy 4-5 times a week. He automatically goes into swim mode and that leg is getting some good movement in the water. By the end of the day when he's tired he barely touches it to the floor.

seedrake

Postby seedrake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Sir Winston had his staples out today (day 17). He seems to be doing very well. Walking on it about 50% of the time. Like others here have said, having problems keeping his from jumping and doing stairs.

cmmv

Postby cmmv » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Our little girl, Keli, has had surgery on both knees! Both surgeries and recoveries have gone very well. She is back to running, jumping and flying through the air like she did when she was just a puppy. She is 3 years old now and more active and happy. I would highly recommend the surgery as long as you have a competent vet surgeon who takes the time to explain everything and answer questions you may have. We did the more advanced leg first and waited about 6 months to do the second. The recovery periods were actually shorter and easier than we expected. It is scary seeing a tiny dog with a cast, but once Keli healed, we were so happy we went ahead. Good luck with Scooter!

danamite

Postby danamite » Wed May 04, 2016 2:27 pm

My Maltese is 18 months old and we just had surgery on both knees 7 weeks ago. It was not successful and they want to repeat it. When you have a little guy this young it is hard to keep him down. We tried but after he got through the first couple of weeks he wanted to run and play and sometimes we just couldn't prevent it. We are so very upset and do not want to put him through it again but he seems worse than before and know he will have arthritic problems later. Not to mention we have already spent $4000 dollars on the surgery.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Maltesenamedhanu

Postby Maltesenamedhanu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:43 pm

Hello to you and Scooter.
I have a Maltese that is 6 years old.
We got him when he was 1 year 6 months.
We bought him for a very low price and when we got him home we realized why. When he would walk he would skip with one leg so we brought him to an orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon said he had a luxating patella and surgery would correct this. The operation was over $3000 and it was well worth it. Our dog, Hanu, recovered very well and he has not skipped with that leg since.
My opinion is the operation was a complete success, as the surgeon had predicted. Hanu is well and has his own Instagram page untitled Maltesenamedhanu.
I wish you and Scooter, well.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”