Luxating patella, surgery or not

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
addy

Re: Luxating patella, surgery or not

Postby addy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:01 am

Surgeons in my area go from office to office but have a primary location. But I know that they only do surgery. They do not act as regular vets. So with many years of experience, they have experience, especially with a condition like this which occurs frequently. When mine had the surgery, I asked if there was someone with her at all times. Did they leave her alone in a cage when surgery was over for example. Could she come home the same day. Many will say no, as dog needs rest. But if that is the case, are they left alone in the cage at night? At regular vet offices this can occur, but not in the surgeon's main office. Will they give her pain medication? Will they send some home with her? Usually surgeons specialize in certain surgeries. So asking if they have done many of this kind is a perfectly okay thing to ask them.

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Update - Scooter went to the vet yesterday and he does indeed have a stage 4 luxation so he will see the orthopedic surgeon Monday. The vet also thinks there is an issue with his hips and wants the surgeon to evaluate them as well. Surgery for the knee is definitly in his near future.

sarahb

Postby sarahb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

Hi-
My dog has a surgical consult on Tuesday June 28. Timmy is closer to 20 months and also has left rear leg(s) luxation.
I have had one vet say it is around a #2 and another vet said #3. So, the surgeon on Tuesday will make a recommendation and give me an estimate for the cost and procedure. I printed out the questions recommended by other posters and will bring it with me. As I've mentioned before-- the thought of surgery really scares me. But, we'll see what the vet says next week.
Keep us posted on Scooter. Sounds like we're following a similar path.
sarahb

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:04 am

Scooter is scheduled for surgery July 13. Poor little guy. A good friend of mine has loaned me the 1500 for the procedure. The leg is just getting worse by the day it seems. It really juts out to the left now and he limps most of the day now. ( I keep trying to post a pic of him in my avatar but can't seem to get the file reduced enough.
Good luck with your little one. It's the 6-10 weeks of cautious aftercare that has me worried.

addy

Postby addy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:22 pm

I really wish people did not feel the need to worry so much about the surgery and aftercare. If going to a qualified surgeon in a good surgical center, they should be fine. And after care is no big deal. I was to do massage on mine for a few days, but within days she was jumping up on furniture and off the bed. Was this recommended? No. But she is fine, despite this. Of all the problems I have experienced in life, even if just considering situations with dogs, this was minor.

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Tomorrow is surgery day!

sarahb

Postby sarahb » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 am

please update us on the surgery!!
sarahb

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:14 pm

I just brought my little guy home from the hospital. The surgeon said his "groove" was almost nonexistant. His little leg is quite swollen and sore but that's to be expected. My sister just went out and got him an inflatable collar which seems to be alot more comfortable than the hard plastic cone the vet had on him. The vet said we'll need to evaluate him at the 6 week point to see if he'll need rehab. Right now he's restricted to almost no activity at all.
It's good to have him home.
Wendy

M2M

Postby M2M » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:58 am

Hi! I hope the surgery went smoothly. Please do update us...;D

wmikels1

Postby wmikels1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Post op day 6 and all is well. He's progressing nicely. His leg is back down to normal size and his bright little eyes are back again. It's still challenging for him to pee as he can't seem to figure out how to lift the other leg. I can't believe how much his little bladder can hold. But he's doing well and I am a very thankful Mom.
Love and light,
Wendy

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”