Luxating patella, surgery or not

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
wmikels1

Luxating patella, surgery or not

Postby wmikels1 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 pm

My Scooter is 16 months old and is suddenly displaying signs of a luxating patella in his left rear leg. I've had a friend, who is also a breeder, tell me that surgery is usually ineffective and not to put him through it. Can anyone tell me their experiences with surgery and how effective it was? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

merryblueeyes

Re: Luxating patella, surgery or not

Postby merryblueeyes » Mon May 23, 2011 11:29 am

I'm so sorry that Scooter is having this problem. I'm sure you have discussed this with your vet and/or done some research on line. There are a few surgical techniques that can be used for this condition. I had a small mixed breed dog who slipper her kneecap when she was four. She had corrective surgery and recovered quickly and well. We used to put her in the pool to swim for exercise without weight and her progress was fabulous. About a year later, she developed some osteoarthritis in the knee from the surgery. The vet suggested that I give her glucosamine for dogs. I did and in three weeks her foot was back down again and she never had it up again. She lived a happy and active life until she was sixteen and a half and never had another problem with the knee.

addy

Postby addy » Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 am

I am surprised you were told it is ineffective. Mine was diagnosed when quite young so we waited till 10-12 months to do the surgery. She recovered quickly and has had no problem with it since. She now has it in the other leg and if and when she shows signs of pain, I will definitely have the surgery done for that one. I much prefer this to life long arthritis pain. I was told that dogs do not show pain quickly as instinct tells them not to indicate the weakness. In the meantime, mine is on glucosamine.

MyMalteseKid

Postby MyMalteseKid » Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi....did your vet explain the different stages of LP? Stages 1 to 4. At stages 3/4 they will discuss surgery. Surgery is Not ineffective your breeder is incorrect...Did your vet suggest giving Scooter glucosamine and even Omega 3 fish oils on a daily basis.

My first Maltese needed the surgery when he was a year old on both hind legs....Ouch ... but he was fine afterwards w/o any issues. Our second Maltese had LP issues as well but never needed the surgery because it did not reach stages 3/4. We kept him on the glucosamine for life with follow up visits to our vets. Also try to keep Scooter from jumping, going up/down stairs, etc. Can you vet feel the knee cap area moving when he exams him?

Read as much as you can about LP so that you can discuss with your vet and make the right choices.

Let us know how Scooter is doing.

sarahb

Postby sarahb » Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 pm

I am currently considering this surgery, as well, for my dog; Timmy.
Timmy has stage 3 and is happy as can be but really favors his right rear leg over the left. When he runs, he often holds up the left. He never complains of pain or seems anything less than very happy but I worry because of the way he carries the leg.

I am thinking I'll do it in the FALL when it rains daily and he doesn't want to go outside, anyway. We waited all Winter for the nice weather and I can't bare to keep him in during the only four months of good weather we have: June, July, August, and Sept.

It would be great to hear more about:
1. how hard is it to keep them from moving the leg while it is healing?
2. what are the risks of the surgery itself?
3. how close to the estimate cost was the final cost?
4. how much did the surgery cost?

thanks for sending details or stories of the surgery and the healing process.
sarahb

addy

Postby addy » Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Dogs do not indicate pain. This tells others they are weak and makes them vulnerable to attack. It is an old instinct. But carrying the leg up indicates pain. While I think your idea of doing it in the fall when it is wet out may be a good idea, I would not let him continue to suffer through the summer. They recover quickly and actually need exercise, so doing it during the summer would be a good idea.

M2M

Postby M2M » Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 am

Hi! My vet explained there are two routes that we can take when my maltese was diagnosed with a luxating patella--surgery or medical therapy. Not all cases needs surgery so there is a need for your vet to establish the extent of damage. Lateral imbrication can be done to correct the luxation. There are other surgical procedures that can be undertaken and most has a success rate of 90%.

In my pet's case, we choose to have the condition corrected surgically. Post surgery rehab was very important in the proper healing and my vet really emphasized this.

sarahb

Postby sarahb » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

I have an assessment appointment with a surgeon on June 28. Please send any questions I might ask the surgeon-- he's been in practice for thirty years and has done many many patellas.

merryblueeyes

Postby merryblueeyes » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 am

The single most important question to ask any surgeon, human or vet, is how frequently he does this particular surgery. If he's done twenty over thirty years, that is less than one a year. Surgery is like any craft; the more frequently the surgeon does it, the better he gets. That is the question to ask; perhaps a veterinarian at a university vet program would do it more often.
I do wish you luck.

sarahb

Postby sarahb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Do you feel that this is an appropriate question to ask and does not need to be embedded in another question or danced around?
IE:
I would like to know approx. how many times you have preformed this surgery on a dog?

Based on another post I have read previously- I would also like to make sure that they will not have an intern or beginner complete this surgery on my dog. Is that a fair expectation especially if I mention it at this first visit?

thanks for the feedback.
sarahb

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”