Back right leg - periodic limping?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Cole3030

Back right leg - periodic limping?

Postby Cole3030 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 am

I have two Maltese brothers, about a year apart. The older one, Max, is a little overweight. Periodically he has been limping on the right back leg. He'll jump down and start limping on it (won't put pressure on it), or he'll be unable to come up the steps or come down from the steps. He will sit there and whine until I come get him off the steps (VERY uncharacteristic for him). It's not full-time favoring of the leg, but I'm noticing it more. I'm going to have to end up taking him to the vet, but right now can't afford to pay for all the x-rays and stuff they are going to want to do! Any thoughts?

2Susan

Re: Back right leg - periodic limping?

Postby 2Susan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 am

My Sugar had the same problem. Vet said she was overweight and need to be under 11 lbs. Her weight came off and the knee problem was solved. Maybe it will work with your dog.

Virginia78

Postby Virginia78 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Our dog has what appears to be the same problem, and our vet said it was a luxating patella (laymens's terms: kneecap slipping in and out) According to him, Maltese are seventh most likely breed to have this problem. The reason it doesn't hurt all the time is that it slips back in on its own some times, and the problem is temporarily solved. Eventually, it may wear the down the groove it goes in and will have to be surgically repaired. Our Beaux (8 years old) has had his go out completely twice in the eight months we have had him. He just lay down, trembling, and wouldn't try to walk. The vet showed us how to stretch his leg out and rub it, and it did go back in. He also advised us to keep his weight in the normal range. Hope this helps.

AbbysMom

Postby AbbysMom » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Yup, I'm with Virginia on this one.
Sounds very much like a luxating patella.
Abby had stage 4 by the time I rescued her when she was 9.
She's 16 now and still deals with them in both her hind legs.

No X-rays are needed to determine if it is luxating patella. Just a little manual manipulation can diagnose it.

It's painful, for sure, but it's amazing how well our four-legged friends can adapt to physical difficulties.

In Abby's case, because the knees are SO bad, along with lots of arthritis and previous tears in her ACL, she gets Metacam daily to help with pain.
It's an NSAID (like aspirin for humans) and helps her feel better. There are days when there is no limping, and others when it worsens.

Maintaining a healthy weight is important, as is continuing a healthy exercise regimen.

Best of luck!!!
Sharon

Tobybaby

Postby Tobybaby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 am

My Toby is 9yrs old now and when he was 4yrs old I took him to our vet about his "knees". He prescribed Duralactin for him. It's a concentrated milk protein chewable pill. They have treated horses with this product for many years. You can buy it online. The chewable pills are quite large but are scored. Toby took 1/4th of a chewable pill (vanilla flavored) twice a day. Within a week he was fine. No limping or crying out in pain. I gave it to him up until last year when I was warned about older dogs having too much protein in their diets was not good. I was advised by a friend of mine who is a vet tech that I could give him 1/4th of the glucosamine tablets that I take every day for my joint health. Toby made the transition quite well and seems to have no pain or problems with his knees. I use "pill pockets" and they work great.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:27 pm

my vet just advised patella with orthopedic surgeon.$3500 to $5000.does this sound correct.?

danamite

Postby danamite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Our little Murphy is 18 mos. and has lactating Patella in both back knees. He is scheduled for surgery next week and it is costing us $4300 and maybe a tad more.

Rafaelrhins

Back right leg periodic limping

Postby Rafaelrhins » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm

I mean't that back in the old days, the laser weapon research was available one research away,.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”