sneeze/breathing problems last long?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Teresa

sneeze/breathing problems last long?

Postby Teresa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 pm

My Spice is 2 years old and even though this problem happens less often now - it lasts a long time. She does this sneeze/cough thing and my guess is that she inhales some fluid - and then has trouble breathing. She even softly gives and "airy" whine while trying to breathe, and also coughs/gags as if she's trying to cough something up. This happened last night before bed and I held her and rocked her for quite a while untils he calmed down. However this morning she started with the coughing/gagging as soon as we got up and was having lots of trouble breathing. She is at the vet right now. The last time this happened was 3 months ago so I'm glad it's not too often now. At that time the vet thought it could be a liver shunt but in the meantime the liver enzymes have been checked again and all is well. They've also wondered about the reverse sneeze - but it seems to me that anyone who experiences that talks as if it doesn't last all that long. Any ideas from anyone?

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”