Fostering Neglected Maltese-need advice

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
AbbysMom

Fostering Neglected Maltese-need advice

Postby AbbysMom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi all!
As you may remember, I lost my beloved Maltese, Abby, just one day after her 17th birthday. It's only been a month and I am still so devastated, but have so much love to offer a needy little dog, so I have chosen to foster.

"King" is a 4 or 5 year old neutered Maltese, surrendered by his owner. He was obviously neglected as he was severely underweight, matted, had skin infection issues, and has poor hair quality as well as chronic dry eye. He is safe at the Sunny Meadows Pet Rescue and I will be picking him up on Thursday, then immediately taking him to my trusted vet for an overall health check.
Here are some of my concerns and what I will need help with:

*He was never housebroken (and was most likely kept outdoors all the time) so he pees and poops inside whenever and where ever the urge strikes.

*He is so insecure he marks EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. Even if there's no more urine, he'll still hoist up the leg.

My entire house is carpeted and all my surfaces are soft and absorbent (floors, furniture, etc)... I have purchased a "belly band" type of male diaper that will fit around his mid-section which will hopefully absorb some of the urine he uses for marking.

I don't have the faintest idea of how to begin housetraining a 5 year old dog, and don't have the background in doggy behavior to know how to correct these issues. I want him to feel safe and secure in a loving home and hate the idea of having to be "verbally harsh" with him (saying "No" for example in a strong voice), given his sensitive and needy nature.

If anyone has ANY ideas, I am open to learning as much as I can!!! This will be a huge change from my sweet little Abby and I hope I'm up for the challenge. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”