Hard time with food

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
ell

Hard time with food

Postby ell » Fri May 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello, My 11 month old Maltese Daisy-Bell is not eating, She was on Pedegree with the breeder, I slowly witched her to Wellness which she hated and now I am on blue buffalo, she soes not get table scraps, only her food, 2 biscuts a day and a couple of the little jacks for training purposes. I have tried everything from every bowel in the house to plates and platters, hand feeding and nothing. I want to switch foods again , I am afraid she only like the cheap stuff which I will not buy, I am thinking of Natural balance, simply nurish, natures recipe, I am looking for a healthy food that may have some texture of different kibble colors/ pieces, any suggestions would be much appreciated. I should tell you she was at the vet for her check up and she is healthy, one more baby tooth to come out, if not out in 3 weeks I have a apt. to have it extracted as the vet said she should have all her baby teeth out around 6 months.
Thank you again
Ell.

MyBentley

Re: Hard time with food

Postby MyBentley » Tue May 06, 2014 9:37 am

My just turning 8 month old is eating Organix. He is on the puppy food now, and the kibbles are very small. He occasional will start nibbling the science diet nuggets my Bichon is on. I leave the food down all day, he nibbles throughout the day. I give him about 2 tablespoons of Science Diet canned at night mixed with his kibble, and he loves it. All are very nutritious, corn free, and you can get grain free of the Organix if you wish. Good luck to you!

slykimmi

Postby slykimmi » Wed May 07, 2014 9:51 am

My 4 y/o Cricket is still finicky with food. She is my first Maltese so I was shocked when she wasn't food motivated. We tried everything you mentioned. Do you have another dog? I found that Cricket was anxious to eat her food when our Jack Russell Autumn was nearby. She will also only eat from a small, flat plate (I use a tea cup plate). I did some behavior modification with both dogs during meal times and that has helped significantly but there are still meals when she won't eat at all or she will take one pellet at a time to another part of the room and eat it. Maybe your dog is anxious at meal time and the environment needs to change - not necessarily the food. Good luck! I hope others can share ideas that I can also learn from!!!

maltese4me

Postby maltese4me » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Have you tried feeding her some canned food? There are many types of dog food to try. I feed mine a dehydrated raw food & they love it. You can also try topping the kibble with a little canned.

MyBentley

Postby MyBentley » Sun May 11, 2014 12:35 am

I have my 8 month old Maltese on Organix, and he loves it, as does my 16 year old bichon. Good healthy and organic.

patsyfeiner

Postby patsyfeiner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:36 am

I feed Acana Pacifica and it's perfect for us. It is an excellent source of essential nutritional balance of my dog's skin and coat health and good health in general.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”