Black pigmentation around the eye

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
MyBentley

Black pigmentation around the eye

Postby MyBentley » Sat May 03, 2014 5:52 pm

I have a 8 month old Maltese, that I acquired from a young couple that couldn't keep him. I know they had a huge German Shepard, and a 10 month old baby. Not much time for a puppy. When I got Bentley at 7 months, the first thing I noticed was a lack of pigmentation around the eye rim, above and below the lashes. Very unusual looking and I think He looked a bit albino. loved him anyway, and since I am not breeding or showing, I really didn't care. However, having had 6 Bichons before, I was used to a darker pigmentation in this area. I have had him for one month, and notice yesterday that the eye rims are now black. I am pleased, but surprised. I am wondering if exposure to the sun would have caused this to develop. I know that he was kept inside most of his early life, and spent a great deal of time locked in a laundry room. I am not sure how much sunlight he received before moving to my house. Would that impacted his getting his normal coloration at 7 or 8 months? His nose has always been black, but he lacks any body pigmentation.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”