should I buy the puppy?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Tgosser

should I buy the puppy?

Postby Tgosser » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:13 pm

My wife and I want to get a Maltese pup and he is young but already being trained by the breeder on puppy pads. The only thing is, we both work during the day and we would have to leave the dog alone from 7am-4pm. I would like to know if the dog will develop bad habits, small dog syndrome, or depression or if this is just a terrible idea. Should we get the puppy knowing we wouldn't be able to supervise him from 7-4 with him being in a play pen?

MomOfSugar

Re: should I buy the puppy?

Postby MomOfSugar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Please see my reply to "New Maltese Owner (Soon)". Maltese dogs are companion dogs, and do not do well being left alone for long periods of time.

caspsandme

Postby caspsandme » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 pm

I would strongly recommend that you do not get a puppy if you are not home during the day. Puppies in general need a lot of attention and care let alone a Maltese. Is there anyone you know that can come check on your puppy a couple of times a day and walk him or her? Also, you will never be able to properly house train your puppy if you are gone for so many hours. They cannot hold their bladders for more than 2-3 hours when they are that young.

Maltese's are awesome companions but they are a lot of work as puppies and need someone around.

Hope this helps!

leighfisher

Postby leighfisher » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 am

If you both stays out the whole then I would say its better not to buy a puppy at home..

Cupidsmommy

Postby Cupidsmommy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:12 am

I agree. That is too long to leave a puppy, unfortunately.

spilsburyn

Postby spilsburyn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I say yes... especially if you can get home for lunch. My maltese started with a fairly large fensed in area.... not a create... with a sturdy leather pad to protect the apartment floor.
In it I put the puppy pad, toys and a bed... The create was saved for nightime sleeping so her environment changed.
Within a few months, my Mia decided all on her own to expend her world to a room... then my whole apartment where she could find exactly what she needed to keep her out of trouble.
Mia is now a certified service and therapy dog.. and now I can take her to work.
Maltese is a wonderful breed and given some patience.... they can be the absolute best.

Yes, they are companion dogs... and the time she spends with me every morning and every night and some lunchtimes and definately weekends makes her the BEST breed.
N

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”