my 17 month old maltese is acting strange

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
caspsandme

my 17 month old maltese is acting strange

Postby caspsandme » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:58 am

I have a male maltese who I got when he was 5 weeks old. He came from a backyard breeder that told us he was 8 weeks old when he was only 5 weeks. He came to us filled with ticks and ear mites with a bad ear infection. He also had high anxiety and a sensitive stomach. After many visits to the vet and many food changes he is now on a raw food diet for the last 6 months and is doing great. However these past two weeks he has been acting strange. He doesn't eat his food with the same eagerness he used to and sometimes even leaves a little bit (this is very rare for him). He also isn't interested in his toys which he usually loves. He is still eating for the most part and his bowels are normal. When we go on walks he still is curious and enjoys walking. However, inside the house he looks bored or confused. Nothing in his diet has changed. Environmentally, the only thing that has changed is that I left him with a pet sitter for two days during my brothers wedding and since then life has been a bit hectic. However, he seemed happy with the pet sitter and has stayed there before. I am still spending a decent amount of time with him but his routine has been a little off. It just seems like a strong reaction from him for a small change in the recent weeks.

Any ideas on what else could be going on? I am so worried about him and just want to make sure there is no major reason for concern. I am hoping he just needs some extra love and care and will resume back to normal.

Any help is much appreciated!

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”