Swollen Lymph Nodes

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
virguz42

Swollen Lymph Nodes

Postby virguz42 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi,
I have a 9 year old boy who has had swollen lymph nodes in his neck for about 7 weeks. When I first noticed them, I took him to the vet the next day. They took x-rays because he does have some issues with spine degeneration and wanted to see if there was something going on there. They said to have him take an antibiotic for 3 weeks and then bring him back after. I brought him back and the vet didn't seem to concerned, because my boy had had a tick on him about 4 months prior and he said it could be a tick bourne infection from that tick even though he showed no other signs of infection. The vet sent us home with an additional week of antibiotics. Its been 2 weeks since he has completed the antibiotics and the lymph nodes are still swollen. The odd thing to me is that they change in size daily. They get smaller and then a while later are large again. He has had no signs of being sick, the only thing that has changed is occasionally he tries rubbing his neck on the carpet and licking the air at those times. I am about to take him back for a re check and am hoping that someone might know what is going on with him. If he does have lymphoma, I would like to know so I can help him before it gets bad.

virguz42

Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes

Postby virguz42 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am

UPDATE: My boy had a recheck on Tuesday. The Vet ran blood work at that time. The results came back as him having low thyroid levels. He will be starting medication today. The Vet did say as we monitor him, if the lymph nodes do not go down in size we may need to do a needle aspirate. He said usually in dogs with lymphoma, the lymph nodes do not fluctuate in size and therefore does not seem to be looking in that direction. He didn't give me any indication that he has even seen that before either. Although I am relieved to get some answers, I can't help wonder if there is more to it than hypothyroidism.

kenhag1

Postby kenhag1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 pm

I wish I could provide some knowledge however I am surprised the Vet did not ask to do a biopsy or blood test to check white cell counts. My 9 year old is at the Vet right now coming out of surgery testing for Lymphoma. She had 2 lumps on her neck which were noticed in a month or so ago. The vet believes it is lymphoma as they removed a mass from one side and sent it out today for testing. I heard good things if caught in early stages however it is devastating news regardless as she is like a child to us and of course part of the family. We are hoping for good news on Monday. I hope and wish the same for your guy as well.

Judi

Postby Judi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Maybe try a different antibiotics? In my ancient Maltese, swollen lymph nodes in the neck always meant tooth problems--she was too old to be sedated for dental care and her teeth showed it. She responded to the second antibiotic we tried and it continued effective until she died.

virguz42

Postby virguz42 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:53 pm

New update. Help! Not sure what's happening with my Murphy. Since all the lymph node problems he has had, more things have been happening and the vet does not know what is going on. About 3 weeks ago I noticed Murphy had a hoarse bark so I took him in. The vet assured me his throat was fine and he had a respitory infection. He prescribed antibiotics and an allergy medication. His bark improved, but this past Saturday he started throwing up. I took him to the vet on Monday because he had not improved. The vet took x-rays to check for blockage. He only noticed inflammation in the intestines and stomach. We proceeded to give him a bland diet(which includes white rice and cooked chicken) with no extras. He regurgitated that immediately every time he was given it. He will not even look at it anymore. We then took his kibble and softened it with warm water and created a soup for him. He ate that fine, but vomits the next morning. He has been vomiting multiple times every day. I took him back to the vet on Thursday and he ordered a full blood panel. Everything was normal, even his thyroid since he started the medication. He still vomits and has lost nearly 2 pounds in 2 weeks. The vet wants to do a barium study at this point. I am really worried and hope this all is not connected. I don't know how to help Murphy. If anyone can help me figure this one out I would be so grateful.

virguz42

Postby virguz42 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Update! My Murphy eventually stopped throwing up and lost over 3 lbs. We did not do the barium study because the Vet said it was to rule out Mega-esophagus, which he suspected. There is no cure for it only management. We have changed the way we have been feeding him with great success. He was overweight before, and now at a normal weight and he looks good, although, its a short lived victory :(. Had Murphy at the Vet again a week and a half ago for an ear infection. Received medication. Took him back a week later because we felt a lump near his anus that we thought might be his anal glands needing to be expressed. The Vet examined him and said this was a tumor and the prognosis was poor. He measured it, by anal examination, to be 4cm. He recommended surgery to remove and biopsy immediately because this form of cancer is very aggressive and wanted us to give him more time. I went home that night to talk things over with my husband. At this point we are not able to afford almost $1,000 for this procedure to be done. We read that following the surgery, problems with incontinence and infection can arise as well as the tumor coming back. Also chemo and radiation are recommended after adding a lot of extra cost. We may get a few more months, maybe a year or 2. During this time he would have to undergo continued monitoring by x-ray, ultra-sound and blood work. I feel horrible that we are unable to do this, but not sure I want to put him through it all. He seems happy now with no side effects of the cancer other than the tumor. We are just going to take it one day at a time and enjoy him for whatever time he has left. I am hoping someone has gone through this who might be able tell us how things might progress and what to do as things arise.

virguz42

Postby virguz42 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Just to add: Murphy's lymph nodes in his neck remain slightly enlarged and now the lymph nodes in his hind legs are slightly enlarged. Still on medication to correct low thyroid. He also has had multiple bruises on his chest, front leg and neck that we are unsure how he received. Not sure if all this ties in together, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”