Behavioral Issue? Help Please!

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Miss007els

Behavioral Issue? Help Please!

Postby Miss007els » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:44 am

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but am in need of some help. I have a 4 year old female Maltese named Lola. For the last year I have been having a problem with her pooping in the house at night. She is fully house broken and has no problem going outside. I take her out 3-4 times per day: In the morning after waking up, when I get home from work, sometimes after dinner if she has to go and ALWAYS before going to bed. She usually poops every time we go out. (is this a normal amount for feeding once a day?) I make sure she does both #1 and #2 before going to bed every night and I still wake up to poop in the kitchen or under my dining room table. This morning was right in the middle of the living room rug. It has happened so far 3 times this week. The last time this happened was maybe 2-4 weeks ago. So she'll be fine for a while, then have multiple "accidents" and then be fine again. She has no other issues/symptoms to point towards a health issue. No changes in diet, environment, or routine.

I've taken her to the vet in the past for this and everything was normal so I believe it to be a behavioral issue because she can hold it just fine throughout the day and all night. At this point it is just becoming very annoying as I've done everything I can think of to prevent her from using my house as her personal toilet. I never catch her in the act so can't scold her or correct this bad behavior. I do not rub her nose in it or bring negative attention to the fact that she was bad.

I've contemplated leaving a wee wee pad out somewhere for her at night but I feel this will confuse her into thinking that going to the bathroom inside the house is ok. (as she obviously thinks its ok now) I'd prefer to not have to put her in her crate at night, as she spends the day in there while I am at work. I know crates are good things for dogs and she doesn't mind being in there, but I feel bad keeping her crated all day and all night.

I've been reading the forum and have not seen a similar issue. Should I try to re-train her to go outside? If so any pointers on how to go about doing that? Or any advice on how to break this bad habit of hers? I do the positive reinforcement/praise when she does go outside. So I don't know what else to try.

Any advice would be helpful... Thanks!

merryblueeyes

Re: Behavioral Issue? Help Please!

Postby merryblueeyes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm sorry you are having this problem with Lola. I'm not an expert, but I have two comments on this subject. The first is that Lola seems to defecate too frequently. It suggests that there is too much in her diet that she cannot digest, so she eliminates it. When I first got my little girl, she was a rescue from a puppy mill and defecated four to six times a day. I changed her diet to a high quality commercial food and it went down to three times a day. Then I began cooking for her ( a mixture of 1 part cooked and shredded poultry, 1 part cottage cheese, 1 part cooked brown rice and 1/2 part peas). She became healthier and only defecates once a day. So, I would suggest that you should get a different food.

The next suggestion is to have Lola sleep in a crate. For one thing, she will not be free to go through the house leaving unwanted deposits, and no dog likes to sleep where it has soiled. So, first give her a food that does not go through her creating so much waste and then confine her at night.

Good luck.

Miss007els

Postby Miss007els » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I hadn't thought about the food being an issue. I used to feed her and my other dog Blue Buffalo High Protein chicken and brown rice but I switched because the food contained small "life bits" that neither dog would eat. The food was expensive and they were only eating half of it. They would pick out the kibble and leave the life bits in the bowl. I switched to something a little less expensive but what I thought was still high quality. Now that I think about it I guess it makes sense that this behavior may have started when I switched the food several months ago, probably almost a year now. I will do a little more research and switch to a different brand and see if that fixes the issue. Thank you for your suggestion!

I don't like to make Lola sleep in her crate because she is in there during the day while I am at work. However, she can't be trusted to roam free at night so I have been keeping her in her crate. I'm going to try the food change and see what happens. Hopefully I can break this bad habit!

Mummy_2_Maximus

Postby Mummy_2_Maximus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:55 am

I think merryblueeyes is on the right track. My little one was going about 5 or 6 times a day when I brought him home at 4 months. I was feeding him Taste of the Wild per the instructions, then fed him a little less but the problem continued. He was dry heaving after meals and started to continuously lick his paws and belly. I switched him to Zignature after a month and after making sure we washed his bedding and towels in tide free and clear in case it was the detergent. Zignature did not change much so I started home cooking ground lamb, brown rice and some frozen organic veggies like cauliflower, broccoli or green beans. After home cooking, his symptoms immediately got better and #2 is limited to a max of 3 times a day, but usually 2 times (once after each feeding.) I have had him on Ziwi Lamb for almost 2 months now in place of homecooked meals and he is doing just as well. His stools are also compact and do not have a strong odor (which is a big deal for me.)

ScooterT1

Postby ScooterT1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm

The post you received were all good suggestions. The only thing I think could possible help is to feed her smaller feedings twice daily. Sophie was the same but feeding her half of her usual feeding in the AM and the remaining in the early afternoon which has been successful. I really would not crate her at night if she is crated during the day. Since Sophie has been trained I always leave a potty pad out during the night. It's rare, but she still sometimes uses it once during sleeping hours. --- very infrequently however. The exercise she has during the day could possibly effect her movement times. Hope some of these post help the concern.

Cupidsmommy

Postby Cupidsmommy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 am

I am sympathizing with you! This morning little Cupid peed on the potty pad and licked it. UGH.

MaddiesDaddy

Postby MaddiesDaddy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:06 pm

I had the same issue with my 7 year old. For the first 4 years, I allowed her to sleep in my bed. Almost every morning, there would be a present for me in the living room. So I began to crate her at night. Soon, she was soooooo happy to hand her item little palace to govern (as all queens do, haha) that she began to ask me to allow her in the crate during the day so she could hang out in there! So I decided that I would just leave the crate door open all day so that she could come and go as she pleases. At night, I tell her that "its time to go to the house" and she prances in there. I close the door and cover the top with a blanket. I believe this is sort of an innate feeling of security that dogs enjoy.

Hope this helps. And dont feel like you are doing something wrong. Behavioral heath is a key component to overall well-being and will prevent any tension between the dog and the master (which is what the dog's main concern with life is anyway).

As for the did, I suggest getting a prescription to a Science Diet regimen, or choking for him as posted above. Most dog food from the store with be loaded with corn, which not only has almost no nutritional value for a dog, but also expands in the gut, causing an increase in frequency of defecation.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”