Ear Scabs

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
steveweston

Ear Scabs

Postby steveweston » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Yes this is NOT a new issue but we are at a loss as to what to do.

Wally has scratched his ears from day one.

We did the Doctor $$$ thing.... with $62 ear drops... ===> no help.

We did the "Dinovite" thing and that did help some what but after a good six months or so, he is at it constantly.

Scratching so much that he has scabs on ears edge.

We don't have fleas here in Arizona so that is not a problem.

Diet ? Gets the best chicken breast meat available.

Also get coco nut oil and some egg....

Very happy dog and a perfect companion. Just has this ear problem..

Any ideas ????

Thanks

mss

Re: Ear Scabs

Postby mss » Sat May 02, 2015 4:44 am

Is he itchy anywhere else besides his ears? Did the vet decide it was not mites?

Dogs can have allergies to many things, including your lawn, your rug/cleaners and other things. Food allergies can be a problem, too. You mention chicken--Some dogs are allergic to chicken.

I'd suggest a vet visit again and ask about further treatment, including getting prescription hypoallergenic food to try.

steveweston

Postby steveweston » Wed May 06, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks but no more Vets.
Thanks to the internet we know as much as a Vet.
When Vets were "reasonable" affordability was no issue.
Today the $35 visit plus exam and meds cost around $120.
After that "they" still don't know and want you to come back for more testing.
The local country feed store people know most everything about animals.
Here you can get all the meds needed with no exam fees....

"NO MORE VETS"

mss

Postby mss » Thu May 07, 2015 6:04 am

You might look for a balanced dog food made of something other than chicken.

Other than that, I don't know what is wrong with your dog or what else to do. And frankly I wouldn't rely on anybody else to diagnose and prescribe for your dog in this way, either. We can toss out some ideas off the tops of our heads, but that's about it. Suggestions would need to be explored with someone with relevant training.

I just don't understand the anti-vet attitude which I hear from a lot of owners of certain breeds. Some vets are better than others, of course, But the internet is full of misinformation and sellers of questionable remedies. And unless your feed store friends have a microscope, they wouldn't be able to tell you which of the many skin parasites or causes of ear infection your dog has. People on line and in stores like to sell you stuff. They'll sell you what they have. They don't have to have years of education and pass exams and answer to a regulatory board. And there are a lot of medicines they can't sell you anyway.

I wish my own health care were as cheap as what I pay my vets. If you are having trouble making ends meet, maybe there is a shelter or rescue group in your area that might know if there are any low-cost clinics that you could go to.

steveweston

Postby steveweston » Thu May 07, 2015 9:48 am

my issue with vets is purely money.....
example, when I get a headache I don't go to the doctor. aspirin first.
home remedies first, then if super serious , to doctor....
not long ago our dog did see the doc. $62 for ear drops and that did not help.
then they wanted to do an allergy test panel.
read hereabout other owners having their dogs tested.
talk about expensive...........................
here is one for ya:
my sons bulldog needed back surgery ....
$8,000.00 later the dog is ok.
but, $8k ?
not my cup o tea....
I ask here what other owners have experienced with dog scratching..
thanks to all the emails......
I am thinking food allergy.
I do know that many store bought dog foods are made in china.
Maltese dogs don't do well on crap food.

merryblueeyes

Postby merryblueeyes » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 pm

I'd suggest two things: first, just chicken is not a balanced diet. Try one part poultry, one part cottage cheese, one part brown rice and half part peas. Your dog may simply not have enough oil in the diet.
Another thing is using a little extra virgin olive oil on the ears. It can do wonders. I used to put a drop in my former dog's ears to stop itching.
I understand your need for economy, but vets are also doctors, and they have medical school bills to pay off, staff to pay and all the same expenses human doctors have. When it comes to surgery, I can't imagine a human doctor doing back surgery for $8,000 dollars. That would be a bargain.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”