Skin issues

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Jeanie

Skin issues

Postby Jeanie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:33 pm

There's a Maltese up for adoption near me who has skin issues. Here is the write-up about her:

Cotton Candy is a special needs dog looking for just the right home. She has skin issues that require her to wear a cone to prevent her from chewing. She is taking allergy shots and antihistamines but nothing seems to cure her. She is all spunk and sass and totally fearless. She thinks life is an adventure and she's always ready to go. She would love a home where she would be the queen she believes she is.

My concern is the meds are not helping.

Should I adopt this dog?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeanie

steveweston

Re: Skin issues

Postby steveweston » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

My guess is foods.
Our Wally is now on a prescription dog food. He has scratched for two years and we have tried everything.....
The new food seems to help a lot but he still itches some....

I love these dogs and would adopt in a heart beat.....

mss

Re: Skin issues

Postby mss » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:52 pm

I think it would be a good idea to see if the rescue would let you have her medical records to see what the vets think about her care and treatment and possible outcome

Food can definitely be a problem--sometimes you can find which foods cause the problem by trial and error, and my vet recently told me it can take 6 weeks to see if changing the food helps. (My foster dog has had ear issues.) One possibility is to put the dog on an expensive, hypoallergenic prescription diet.

Environment can also be a problem--from grass or weeds in the yard to laundry products or cleaning products, or pet grooming products.

Adopting a rescue dog is wonderful, in theory, but you need to be sure for your own good, as well as the dog's, that you can deal with the issues for as long as it may take to get past them!

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”