Rescue with scary behavior. Help!

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
Oscar2534

Rescue with scary behavior. Help!

Postby Oscar2534 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm

I rescued 2 Maltese at last Christmas. They're adorable and from what the shelter told me, they had a terrible life. A hoarder in the area had 10 Maltese dogs. Apparently she was breeding. Three of the dogs died at her home, and yes, were still in the house when the authorities arrived. Of the 7 that survived I took 2, my sister took one and my colleague took one.

They're both adorable but the male, Spencer, has me concerned. I've only had him for 7 months and he has the scariest behavior. While most of the time he is incredibly passive, he has these sudden outbursts when he lays down. He will lay next to me, all is quiet and slowly he'll start to growl. The growl gets louder until he spins around and bites the couch (or whatever ever is near him). Nothing provoking him. No sounds in the room at all. I can be in another room and he can be all by himself and I can hear him start the growl, and snap and bite something with everything he's got.

I took a video and showed it to the vet. He immediately wanted me to get his liver tested. That test came back fine. At this point I just want to help him be relaxed and comfortable until we figure out what's wrong with him. We believe there may have been inbreeding. Spencer doesn't wag his tail. Ever. The female I rescued from the same house is just great! Wags, happy to see everyone. Adjusting really well.

Ok, need some wisdom here from Maltese owners. Has anyone ever had behavior like this? If you do I'd love some advice.

Thanks

mss

Re: Rescue with scary behavior. Help!

Postby mss » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:00 pm

It could be a form of epilepsy. Maybe you should consult a veterinary neurologist, if there is one in your area.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”