Maltese Training

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
TNuvie

Maltese Training

Postby TNuvie » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 am

Hello. I am new to this board. I rescued Charlie some months ago. He had been left in the yard of the owner of his Maltese Mom's owner when his previous family moved. This lady was in very terrible health and needed a home for him fast. She passed within a week. (I think I should tell you that his father is a cockapoo.)

Charlie is a sweet loving guy. I have had experience with a variety of breeds and have trained obedience and agility and even taught dog agility. I have been able to have my (neutered) boxer boy accept Charlie.

My Question is about Training. I train by positive motivation for any performance. Charlie will not be a candidate for competitive level because of he favors one leg and has knots on 3 ribs. But I do want to introduce him to some (easy) agility for fun. Any tips on how to approach the Maltese on Training would be much appreciated. (I have experience with cockers and poodles so that side of his ancestry is covered.)

TNuvie in Oklahoma.

merryblueeyes

Re: Maltese Training

Postby merryblueeyes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:19 am

I can't address training specifically for agility, but my experience in training my Maltese rescue to be a service dog was that Malteses train exactly like any other dog. We began with basic training classes with AKC and then with a private trainer, but in each case, there was no special technique for her as a Maltese. They're utterly adorable but just dogs and learn like other dogs. They may learn even faster because they have focus and respond so quickly to positive training.
When Hope had her very first obedience class, she was one of ten in the class: nine black labs, one big dark German Shepherd and her. She looked like a tiny cotton ball with all those big critters. She excelled and learned everything faster and better getting the same training as all the others. The trainers all said she was so smart she was scary, so just train away and love your little guy.

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”