When will she stop?!

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
luvmags

When will she stop?!

Postby luvmags » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am

Hello all! I am new to the forum, new to Maltese, and new to dogs in general. I got my lovely puppy called Maggie from my grandmother when she was 11 weeks old. My grandmother got her from a breeder somewhere up north when she was 10 weeks. She's supposedly a purebred Maltese (and even if she's not its not a deal breaker for me, I just want to be informed) but at right around the four month mark that she is she weighs a whopping 6.2 lbs. my understanding is that this breed is supposed to have an adult weight of about 7-9 lbs? Is she abnormally large for a Maltese? Or is she perhaps not really a Maltese? When do they usually stop growing? Am I worrying over nothing? Is she just fat? She doesn't seem fat but maybe I'm over feeding her. Any info would help!

Princessmom

Re: When will she stop?!

Postby Princessmom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a purebread Maltese (with papers who weights 8 pounds. I was told she would be 6 pounds. If you can feel her ribs, she the right weight but the best thing to do is ask the vet. My 8 pound Princess is beautiful and brillant....do not worry. I'm sure Maggie is perfect.

sharon nunn

Postby sharon nunn » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:29 am

Hi

Pure breed Maltese are always white in colour (with no other colour). Adult Maltese, according to all the books, should weigh between 6-8 pound. So maybe, your new darling is not a Maltese as that is a pretty hefty weight for a puppy.

sharon

Gucci

Postby Gucci » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Do not be alarmed. My Gucci was a purebred, registered female Maltese and as an adult she weighed between 11 and 12 pounds and was 10 inches at the shoulder.

I saw her mother, father and her two other siblings - all Maltese, however, her mother was larger, the size of my Gucci and her brother and sister were smaller like the father.

At 12 pounds you could not easily feel her ribs without pressing a little bit but at 11 pounds the ribs were there and she was at her perfect healthy weight.

Not all Maltese are "tea-cup" size - thankfully, and some. like my Gucci, can be on the top end of the scale size and still be within the breed standard.

The important thing is to not let your Maltese become overweight - if you can't feel the ribs - without pressing down on the dogs side - cut back the treats and go on a regular 2 meal a day feeding schedule - none of the feed- at - will nonsense so many dog owners do.

luvmags

Postby luvmags » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:03 pm

She's white with a cute black button nose and black adorable eyes. Honestly everyone tells me she looks like a Maltese but not a four month old. She's just really big I guess lol she looks a bit off white because we struggle to bathe her but her hair grows in super white. http://tinypic.com/r/35bv6oi/8

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”