Grieving Spencer

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
houzhed

Grieving Spencer

Postby houzhed » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 am

Apologies for not posting in such a long time but I felt I should once more...

On August 31st 2016, Spencer was put to sleep due to complications from IVDD - something he was diagnosed with in 2006. Throughout his 10 years with me he has about 4 or 5 episodes with flareups that seem to get better with medication and rest. I knew one day that it would come back with a vengeance and that day came the morning of August 30th. When we woke up at 6am to go out for his morning business I noticed he was walking funny with his back arched. This was a common sign that his back was bugging him but this time it was different. 24hrs later I had to find the strength to make undoubtedly the toughest decision I will ever experience but deep down I knew it was the right one. He was basically paralysed in the hind end which meant that he had suffered a ruptured or herniated disc. Moving was noticeably very painful for him and I'm sure equally confusing for his little brain to process. I couldn't see him suffering. I couldn't be selfish as much as I didn't want to let him go. We had spent that night curled up in my bed cuddling - he slept, I couldn't sleep a wink (trying to come to terms with the reality of the situation). It's almost been a month and I still break down daily (usually before bed). I miss him more than I can convey. There is a huge hole in my heart/life that will never be filled. With time things will get easier so I've been told. I feel lucky to have been his owner, blessed for all the unconditional love and forever grateful for all the awesome memories. He was the best little thing to ever happen to me!

Hug your furry babies and hold them tight. They are angels that are here then gone in what seems like a blink of an eye.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVwnGyX-uGA)

Gucci

Re: Grieving Spencer

Postby Gucci » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:59 pm

I know how you feel and my heart goes out to you. My little girl, Gucci, died exactly one year ago today, and I still think of her every day at least once and I still grieve her passing as if it were yesterday.

We were so lucky to have those precious little souls in our lives and that is the only thing that seems to help the grief, even a little.

Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Regards,

Gucci's momma

mbl1346

Re: Grieving Spencer

Postby mbl1346 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am

Grieving Spencer -

I am so sorry to read of your loss, I too had to euthanize my BFF Buddy of almost 15 years on November the 4th of this year. My last post detailed his life, he owned my heart in life and still owns my heart in death. I hope you have found the strength to move on but we will never forget them as they give their unconditional love to their owners in such a way that when we loss them it hurts for a long time.

Buddy's Story
Marc

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”