My Olivia is eating worms!

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.
CindyMI

My Olivia is eating worms!

Postby CindyMI » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi all,

My Olivia (5 months) has started hunting earth worms in the yard. She will sniff all over then stop and literally pull the worm out of the ground and eat it.
Is this a Maltese thing?
Will she grow out of it?
Is she doing it because she is a puppy and its fun?
I discourage it as much as I can. She hasn't gotten sick so I am not concerned that way, it's just that who wants doggy kisses if the kisser has worm breath?

Maria1762

Re: My Olivia is eating worms!

Postby Maria1762 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Yuck! Sounds like Oliva is having fun though. I'm glad to hear that this hasn't been making her ill but it may be worth a quick call to her vet. I don't think it's a Maltese thing since worms are about the only thing my Bogart DOESN'T eat.

tippytr

Postby tippytr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I have had a little that did the same thing, and now have a 9 month male that likes to sniff them out. I am not sure the female ate them she would just roll on them for the scent (also pleasant), but the puppy seems to be trying to chew on them. I think he will grow out of it. As for if it is common for maltese I am not sure, I just wanted to let you know Olivia is not the only one.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:09 am

Scarlett did the same thing. It is just getting warm enough for her to sniff the yard. I wouldn't be surprised to find her trying to eat them again. It's disgusting.

mrose

Postby mrose » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:47 am

My five year old female loves to roll on worms. She doesn't eat them but she rolls all over them and then wants me to pick her up and hold her. I hate it but now I feel somewhat lucky since I now know it could be worse and she could be eating them.

seedrake

Postby seedrake » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 am

My 1yr 6 month old male loves to eat and roll on the dried up worms on the sidewalks. He is just one happy camper when he finds one. They don't seem to have any ill effects on him. I call them doggie frys! I discorage him from eating the ones the are only hafe cooked. :)

CindyMI

Postby CindyMI » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's nice to know that there are other worm lovers out there.

CindyMI

Postby CindyMI » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's nice to know that there are other worm lovers out there.

eeyore110102

Postby eeyore110102 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

the funniest thing happened. i read about olivia eating worms, and thought nothing about it until the other day my 9 month old came to me after playing in the yard all full of leaves. i told her what do you have there she spit out a worm from in her mouth. she didn't eat it or anything, just was proud to show me what she had.

Worshipcafe

Postby Worshipcafe » Fri May 09, 2008 1:21 am

Let's hope Olivia doesn't grow wings and a red breast, because you won't see her till next spring! :)

Return to “Discussion of Maltese Dogs”