Does my Maltese shake/shiver b/c she is scared or nervous?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

Does my Maltese shake/shiver b/c she is scared or nervous?

Postby emmalu » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm

My 2 year old Maltese is so attached to me to the point that she could pretty much care less about anyone else, especially if mommy is anywhere around! Along with this attachment, she gets what seems to be the nervous shakes if I'm leaving or whatever. That's not the only time she shakes though. Other times I see her shake, it may be in a situation that is a bit obvious such as cold temperature, being around too many strangers, loud noise, etc. BUT, then there are times that I find her tremoring and can't figure out why. She has that sad look on her face when it happens so I assume she's feeling insecure or whatever but was wondering if anyone else deals with this and can enlighten me as to why she'll shake when things seem to be calm and we're just hanging out. It's obvious she is VERY sensitive so is it just her feelings? Is there anything I should be doing since I don't want her to be sad or worried? Thanks!
emmalu

Re: Does my Maltese shake/shiver b/c she is scared or nervous?

Postby jasper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Make sure you do not get emotional (high pitch voice, or nervous, etc.) when you are around her. High pitch and overly chatty greetings and departures can get a dog a little high strung and nervous. Praise when behavior is good, but do not overly praise. Give her confidence by being firm and not overly spoiling her. Dogs can get a little neurotic when they are a bit spoiled or given too much attention and not socialied enough. Try to break her obsessive attachment to you. It is normal for her to have some attachment, but the nervousness is not healthy for her. Is there someone else who can also give attention?

Tremoring can also occur when they have stomach pain. Stomach pain can also be caused by anxiety...a little circle there. See if her stool is firm and regular around the time of the shivering. If not, that can indicate stomach distress. Perhaps distract her when she shivers and initiate play. Ignore the shivers and do not coddle her; as you may find that she knows you will comfort her and pick her up when she does the behavior.
jasper

Postby MyMalteseKid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:59 am

What comes to mind with me is White Shakers Syndrome. Question - When her head is in rest position (head down resting on the floor) does she still shake? How long does the shaking continue when it starts? Does this seem to be happening more frequent? Another sign of shaking can be from pain. Are there any dental issues? Only giving these 3 as an FYI.

If your little one is just nervous with people, sounds, etc. try not to cuddle her, hug her, or telling her it's ok, etc. It will only reinforce her fears. Try to ignore it when she does it or just distract her with a toy or treat to see if it helps her to relax. If you feel you should have her examined I would to see what your vet can tell you.
MyMalteseKid

Postby emmalu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. I do live alone so am the only one she sees most of the time but she does get excited to go to "grandma and grandpa's" house for she seems to love and trust my mom. Even though she gets excited to see grandma, if she sees me in the room she squirms in my mom's arms to get to me.. I do wish she'd give others a try since my friend's kids would love to play with her but she just gets that nervous shake and is desperate for me to pick her up, which from reading your posts, I shouldn't necessarily do. I'll work on not giving in to her so much during these times for I am guilty of telling her it's ok and trying to soothe her.
As for her head shaking as well..it really doesn't much but I'll pay closer attention next time it happens to make sure.
Again, thanks for the input and if anyone thinks of anything else, please relay it. ;-)
emmalu

Postby ilovemymaltese » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:42 pm

my maltese is shivering and i dont know what to do! it shivers downstairswhenall the doors andwindows areopen but when i bring it upstairs and close all the windows it stops jumps on my bed starts sleeeping and does some heavy breathing. what does that mean??
ilovemymaltese

Postby MyMalteseKid » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 pm

>>>[quote="ilovemymaltese"]my maltese is shivering and i dont know what to do! it shivers downstairswhenall the doors andwindows areopen but when i bring it upstairs and close all the windows it stops jumps on my bed starts sleeeping and does some heavy breathing. what does that mean??[/quote]

Sounds like your little one may be afraid of the sounds of the outside and just wants to be near you. Sounds like he/she doesn't like being alone. Do you know if he/she shows any signs of separation anxiety other then the above. If she continues to do this have your vet check her over. Tell your vet what he/she is doing and when.

If it is just the outside sounds you should try to condition him/her to those sounds. Taking him/her for walks a few times a day is a good way of letting her experience those sounds.
MyMalteseKid

Postby MochaMaltese » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:44 pm

My 2 Year old puppy does the same thing because he has a disease called White-Shakers Sydrome which causes him to shake all the time.
If your dog shakes consently you will have to take him to the vets to get tablets to control the shaking. But unfortuntely dogs that have White-Shakers is unknown whether they will ever stop!
MochaMaltese

Postby Kat » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 pm

My maltese does the exact same thing!! I mean EXACTLY. I first noticed it every time I would grab my keys to leave and she would immediately start shaking, or she would find a nook to hide in and shake uncontrollably, but then I noticed it at random when we were just sitting there watching tv. It's so strange. She is very shy around other people and will usually hide when company comes over, which is weird because when they first walk in the door she wags her tail and barks and seems excited. She seems so scared but I have never done anything at all to her her. I love her to death and I would say she is pretty pampered. It really bothers me that she still seems so terrified and shakes all the time.
Kat

Re: Does my Maltese shake/shiver b/c she is scared or nervou

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Our 1 year old female Maltese has the exact same issues that seem to have started recently during a period of stress in our house. We have been having our kitchen renovated for the past five months and it has significantly dislocated Emma, on top of the noise and the in and out traffic of contractors. It all seems to have come to a head last week when both my wife and I had very stressful weeks at the office, tied into some plumbing work in the house that led to air bleeding in the pipes and very loud noise. For days, Emma seemed like a shell of herself - blank stare, depressed, just laying around, hardly eating, not playing, no emotion at all except for the shaking. We finally brought her to my parent's house in the country for a week and the improvements seem almost immediate - a lot of attention from grandma and grandpa, quite, etc. We hope that she gets back to normal once she returns and the house is done. We hate to think that we have lost her forever in some emotionless vacuum.
Brian

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs