can a maltese catch a cold?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

can a maltese catch a cold?

Postby maitresse » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:37 pm

My 6 year-old recently boarded at the kennel for a few days while we were out of town. We picked him up on Monday and had him examined (vet looked in eyes, ears, throat, etc) because I'm taking him to France with me on Saturday and we needed the international vet certificate signed. Since yesterday, however, he's been wheezing and having trouble breathing through his nose. The wheezing attacks come and go and seem to worsen when he gets excited.

My question is: should I take him to the vet? Even though he was just examined on Monday (immediately post-kennel) and he was fine? Is there anything more sinister that could be going on here? Or does he just have a little cold?

Thanks,
Lauren
maitresse

Re: can a maltese catch a cold?

Postby jasper » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:58 pm

A vet is always a good idea to at least consult. May be an allergy to something he got near. good luck!
jasper

Postby MyMalteseKid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Yes, I would take him to your vets again because of your up and coming traveling. I wonder if he could be doing what they call reverse sneezing? This can happen when they get excited. If it happens again before seeing your vet try gently placing 2 or 3 fingers over his nose (Doing it Gently) for only 2 or 3 seconds at a time to see if it will help to stop this. Also gently rub his neck area and back. I do this with my little one at times. The following link will give you information to compare with your little one.

www.malteseonly.com/trachea.html

Was he checked for Kennel Cough?
MyMalteseKid

Postby girs mommy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 am

yes take your pup to the vet. He could have been exposed to kennal cough while being borded. Even if vaccinated the vaccine is like the human flu shot no guarantees but usually the dog is less severe if they do catch something. When i Got little gaz she was checked by a vet before flying all was well. By time she got to us she was sick and needed antibiotics. The breeder paid for the vet bill but said that flying probably exasperated things so just to be safe another vet check is a good idea. Also kennal cough has an incubation time just like human bugs so you dog could have been sick without symtoms. Hope all is well though and you have a good trip let us know how your little one is doing.
girs mommy

Postby maitresse » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:32 am

We took him to the vet and of course he acted completely healthy, so she just guessed he had a slight case of rhinitis. Then the moment we got home he was back to sniffling and sneezing!

She didn't prescribe any antibiotics because I give him a light sedative on the plane; if he gets any worse by the time we're back in Paris I'll take him to my vet there. Until then, he is continuing to reverse sneeze, regular sneeze, sniffle, and be stuffed up. Poor little guy!

These don't sound like the symptoms of kennel cough, do they?

Thanks,
Lauren
maitresse

Postby MyMalteseKid » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 pm

>>>>[quote="maitresse"]We took him to the vet and of course he acted completely healthy, so she just guessed he had a slight case of rhinitis. Then the moment we got home he was back to sniffling and sneezing!

She didn't prescribe any antibiotics because I give him a light sedative on the plane; if he gets any worse by the time we're back in Paris I'll take him to my vet there. Until then, he is continuing to reverse sneeze, regular sneeze, sniffle, and be stuffed up. Poor little guy!

These don't sound like the symptoms of kennel cough, do they? <<<<<

Hi...did you ask the vet if he can fly when having these symptoms? Will he be seated with you on the plane? If this is reverse sneezing I don't think it would last this long and the number of times he is doing it. Did she check his trachea? He could have an infection of some type. Maybe a 2nd opinion would be best before you leave on your trip.

When you walk him do you use a collar or a harness?
MyMalteseKid

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs