How long should i walk my maltese for?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

How long should i walk my maltese for?

Postby Cassiee_190202 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 am

I have got two maltese dogs one that has only just turned one and my other dog is just one and half but i have no clue on how long im ment to walk them for, i walk them daily for about 20 minutes a day but they always seem to want out again after it and if i make the walks 10 minutes longer they just sit and they wont move and i end up having to pick them up. Am i doing anything wrong?.
Cassiee_190202

Re: How long should i walk my maltese for?

Postby seedrake » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

I walk my 3 year old for about a hour to a hour and a half every day. I think we cover about a mile to a mile and a half. He's a little man and he has to stop, sniff and pee on everything. So they are not power walks and we have been doing this ever since he has been a year old or younger. They have tons of energy! When it's hot out, I bring water and a little bowl for him and take some rests. I think the rests are more for me then him. I get home and he still wants me to play and for me to chase him around the house. Hope this helps!
seedrake

Postby jasper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

A 20 minute walk should be sufficient. However, make sure you are exercising both mind and body. In other words, make sure they are not stopping, sniffing, etc., but following you and getting directions and performing (i.e., sit, stay, turns in your direction, etc.) and keep him moving. Good luck!
jasper

Postby seedrake » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 am

My feeling are that a dog does not get stimulated by being made to walk and not being able to enjoy his of her surroundings. The ground is a whos who of who's been there and what's been going on. I'm all about my dog. My guy is cooped up all day in the house wile I'm at work and the walk is for him and not me. I don't think pulling your dog along and making him walk when he wants to sniff things would be much fun for him. I think being out side and having a chance to enjoy the sights, smells and sounds is what's important. If you want to exercise, leave your Malt at home.
Just the way I look and think about it.
seedrake

Postby pstoop » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 am

my little " girl" helped me train for my first half marathon. however, we increased out time out over a course of 6 months from 30 min to 2 1/2 hrs. i think that it's key to gradually increase the time so they don't get any aches and pains or injuries - just like us. i also jog very very slow...... also - we also had to stop for water and pee breaks often. so have fun walking.....
pstoop

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi,

It depends on the enegy level of the dog. If you walk her to 30 mins and you see that she can still go on add another 10 mins, etc.. My pup is 5 months old and she has soooo much energy to drain, so I usually take her for 45 mins and she loves it!

Postby bella09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi,

it depends on how much energy your doggy has. If you walk her for 20 mins and you see that she can go for more add another 10 mins, and so on. My pup is 5 months old and she has sooo much energy to drain! I walk her for around 45 mins and she loves it!
bella09

Postby PandysOwner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm

My 5 year old Maltese loves to walk on sunny days along the lakes in my condo complex. We take one longer walk during the day varying anywhere from 20 min to 1.5 hours, depending on weather. She loves to look at the ducks, people, sniff, etc. I let her stop at certain points to mark her areas, but try to work with her as we walk. As we all know, Maltese are super friendly dogs who want to please. She wants to practice "wait" (to cross the street), "come" and other commands that will ultimately keep her safe and happy. After many of our walks, Pandy will come home and take a mini-power nap on the couch or her stuffed bed.
PandysOwner

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs