what age are maltese fully grown?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

what age are maltese fully grown?

Postby OLIVEIRA101903 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 pm

I have a 3 month old maltese and was wondering at what age are they considered fully grown . She will be 4 months on christmas eve and she weighs 4 lbs is that an average weight for her age. i know alot of breeders estimate there adult weight and was curious what her adult weight might app. might be iknow it is not accurate only time will tell but still just alittle curious. thanks
OLIVEIRA101903

Re: what age are maltese fully grown?

Postby eeyore110102 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm

the funniest thing.. i was just thinking the same thing while responding to the post with the accidents in the shirt.... what age do they truly stop growing? i think i read by 3 months they're half their size and weight and by 6 months they're fully grown, but it seems that my guy is getting longer at 2 years old, or it may just be my eyes ( i have to measure him again) seeing him against my 2.5 lb 4 month old female.
eeyore110102

Postby philena » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 pm

I posted a similar question a while back. I have been told that usually their full weight is about twice the weight they were at 3 months. My trainer says that they usually are full size in terms of bone development at about six months but they can increase the actual weight after that a bit. Mine is now seven months and I believe she is about the same weight she was at five months though a bit taller. She was 4.1 at five months and I am guessing is about 4.5 now. Breeders can estimate, but the best of them are still not perfect. My own came from a good breeder and her parents were 5 and 7 pounds. So I fully expected her to get to about 8 pounds. These dogs can vary a lot in weight and a lot of people really want the tiny ones. But the tiny are more prone to illness and have less reserve. But as a general rule, they do seem to reach full height at about 6-7 months and weight at about 8 months.
philena

Postby Malta2Boys » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:56 am

you double their weight at 12 weeks old and add 0.5 pound. that is the estimate and usually it's very correct.
Malta2Boys

Postby njdrake » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:55 am

I have two Maltese, one a little under 4 pounds and the other a little over and both full grown. I also have several friends with Maltese so this is just a guess from what I've seen with these babies. It seems like at about 10 months they have their full growth but they still need to fill out a little so that seems to happen at about a year old. I have a friend with a dog boutique who has two Maltese and we've ask other people who own them and this is what we came up with. Like I said it's just a guess from watching the Maltese we've been around and asking other owners.
njdrake

Postby Johamma » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am

At 7.5 mo Scrappy is 3 times the weight he was at 12 wks! And he is by no means fat! I am happy though because he is studier I think I'd be nervous if he was small and frail like when he was a tiny puppy!
Johamma

Postby OCAnn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Cha-cha is now 2 yrs old and weighs 9 lbs. I believe they're full grown at a year.
OCAnn

Postby Kutsmail1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:29 pm

I have been doing a lot of reading on this lately as I am debating on the age to spay my little girl. The articles vary, but average 8-10 months. At this point, I am going to go with my own judgement for my baby. I am going to wait for her 1st or second heat cycle, depending on her age at the first one.
With my first maltese, she stopped growing between 10-12 months. Her first heat cycle came between 8-10 months.
Larger breeds can continue to grow til about age 2, but our babies are grown long before then!
Kutsmail1

Postby eeyore110102 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:59 pm

well today my little girl went for her last shot, a rabies shot, and got weighed in, she weighed in at 3.9 lbs, at almst exactly 5 mohts old... she went from 2.4 lbs about a month and a half ago. is this normal? she grew almost 2 lbs in less than 2 months...
eeyore110102

Postby congo1971 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:59 pm

i was told that the weight they are at 8 weeks to triple that and that is their full weight. mine was 1 lb 4 oz at 8 weeks, now at 14 weeks she is 1 lb 12 oz. its hard to believe she would only be 3 lb 12 oz according to the calculations i was given but who knows. she is very small.
congo1971

Next

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs