my maltese hair is turning brown

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

my maltese hair is turning brown

Postby marjoriewolfe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm

I have two maltese, litter mates. They are 15 months old. We recently went on vacation and left them with their groomer for 10 days. Since we've come home we've noticed that the hair on Raymonds back is turning brown. It started with a small spot but is getting bigger and is now nearly all over his back. His skin is not bothering him, i.e. not itching, dryness etc.
Has anyone heard of this, or know what could be causing it?
marjoriewolfe

Re: my maltese hair is turning brown

Postby MyMalteseKid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi....if you are talking about his coat....the color beige/light light brown is normal on some Maltese. If you are seeing dark spots on his skin it is the pigmentation better known as freckling which is normal with some.
MyMalteseKid

Re: my maltese hair is turning brown

Postby jasper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Try an apple cider vinegar rinse after shampoo/conditioner. That may help remove any bacteria/ dandruff, etc., in case something is in the fur and causing bacteria to spread. If not, then it may be that the new hair coming in is actually a light tan. As mine age, the one who had a little brown spot on her back now has a bit larger spot and more on the ears. Her brother does not have any brown on him, but has a TON of pigmentation on his skin (poor thing looks like a little cow with the black/brown spots), when he is bathed. good luck!
jasper

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs