what could be causing an upset stomach?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

what could be causing an upset stomach?

Postby mrose » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 am

I have an 8 year old female maltese. She has had an upset stomach for 5 days. Her stomach is only upset in the morning. She doesn't want to eat her breakfast and she doesn't seem quite as active as usual. We can hear her stomach making gurgling noises. The odd part is after a few hours, she wants to eat and she seems fine. She plays with her toys, like to run around outside, and acts completely normal. We can't figure out why she is getting up in the morning with an upset stomach and we were hoping someone on this forum might be able to shed some light on this subject for us.
mrose

Re: what could be causing an upset stomach?

Postby merryblueeyes » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Is there a chance that she is eating grass while she is out. That will cause the symptoms that you describe. Many people think that dogs eat grass to cure an upset stomach, but it is grass that often causes it. Hope your little girl feels better soon.
merryblueeyes

Postby MyMalteseKid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi ... does your little one throw up at any time or is it that she does not eat first thing in the morning? Good that she does finally eat and plays, etc.

I wonder because of her age that maybe she doesn't feel 100% due to sometime like arthritis, etc. I would suggest having your vet give her a complete exam and blood work this would put my mind at ease as well. Bring a stool sample with you. Also have her anals checked to see if they need to be expressed.

Do you remember if she had any vaccines before this started to happen. Sometimes vaccines even days later could give them a reaction, etc.

Let us know how she is doing.
MyMalteseKid

Postby jasper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Try some probiotics and see if that helps. Also try rubbing the belly for five minutes or so, in a circular motion, so see if that will help the digestive track process through the air bubbles and digestive system. good luck!
jasper

Postby mrose » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Jasper, Could you tell me more about probiotics. How much to use, where to purchase them, etc. She seems better now. I think it could possibly be something she ate. She is the kind of dog who eats anything and everything she spies on the floor. My other guess as to what upset her stomach might be the food.I feed her California Natural lamb and brown rice dry and wet food. Maybe now that she is getting older, the food might not be agreeing with her. I will try massaging her little pink belly (I love her little pink belly). I would like to try the probiotics too but I don't know anything about them and I would be afraid to give her anything without adequate knowledge about what I am giving her. I adore my maltie. They are the sweetest, most loyal, loving dogs, but I don't think I need to try to convince anybody on this forum, we all know just how wonderful they are!
mrose

Postby LindaMRG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Have you tried changing foods? Maybe there is something in the food irritating the digestive system that didnt do so before. Have you given different treats or foods lately? What does the vet think?
LindaMRG

Postby jasper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Probiotics are found in any dog boutique. I do not know if the main pet stores are carrying them, but perhaps! You can learn more about them online. It is a powder added to their food. Makes a great difference. My male has upset stomach like that and will eat a little, then comes back a half hour or so later and finish the meal. The vet explain that if they have been off food (overnight) and did not eat enough before that "fast", their stomachs can get some acid reflux type of situation and they will either throw up, or feel ill. I will generally give Jasper something to eat before he goes to bed, if he has not eaten since early evening. That helps him the next day. It is usually only a small treat (i.e., carrot, dehydrated lamb or beef, etc.). I have found them to have somewhat sensitive stomachs; particularly when their is any change. My female has an iron stomach, but the male is delicate and any change in schedule or more people around than usual, or arguments, gets a change in his bowel movements. It could also be a little flu bug going through them. Regardless, i have found ground flax added to the food helps with avoiding diarhea and binding them a little and the probiotics are used particularly when antibiotics are in their system or they are having distress stomachs. Good luck!
jasper

Postby alli55542 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I have the same problem with my 3 year old. Doesn't want to eat in the AM and sometimes she vomits bile, too. The vet recommended low fat food, which seems to help for awhile. Then the cycle starts over. Sometimes I give her some pepto, but I hate to make a habit of it. We rescued her at one year old and she wasn't feed well before us, so I think it just made her have stomach problems. It breaks my heart to see her ill. I wish I had a long term solution.
alli55542

Postby Beemer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I have a male Maltese that will be 8 years old in March. He is having the same problems. I was wondering have you found any solutions?
Beemer

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs