At what age do malt calm down?

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

At what age do malt calm down?

Postby Bailey » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:48 am

Can somebody tell me when to except malt to be less energatic? I am sure it has something to do with the gender as well, I have a 2 and a half year old male.
Does your malt move away from you when you approach them? In other words, let's say you are in a room with him/her and he/she shows interest in being with you, once you approach them (say come) then he /she pushes back and move away from you???I found this very strange in my malt boy.
Bailey

Re: At what age do malt calm down?

Postby MaltyMom07 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi
Can't tell you when or if they become less energetic. My 1 yr old Max became calmer with my husband and I when we got a second dog. He spends alot of his time and energy with him. As for backing away...Max has always done that. I used to wonder about it. I have to tell him to "come" so he'll get near me...or he comes around me on his own. But it's like he doesn't want to lose sight of me when I am home. I guess it's at their convenience. LOL I sure would like to know why though...out of curiousity.
MaltyMom07

Postby sarah eden » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi there, when Benji comes to me then backs away it is a sign he wans to play, anything really a little play fight tapping his toe, he gets so excited runs roung in cirles barking then wants to try and catch my hands or he wants to play ball, maybe this is just my dog but for him it's a kind of come get me then lets play, he is 5 now but still wants to play so try it, it maybe the same for your little one xx
sarah eden

Postby Maggieh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Saw your other post and have to ask how old are your kids and how many children are around your dog on a regular basis? Remember that children are much bigger than the malt pup and can be quite frightening to these little guys with their loud, high-pitched voices and fast movements. They also are rough - unintentionally and sometimes intentionally. They don't yet have the adult filters we have on how to treat little animals. Your dog will also react to your stress and nervousness. If you're upset with him, he will be upset as well.

The vet once told me that dogs get their "adult" brains and start to settle down around 2 1/2 years. If this continues, I suggest behavior/obedience training involving you, the dog and the rest of your family as much as possible. He has to feel completely safe in order to settle down.
Maggieh

Postby Malta2Boys » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 am

[quote="Bailey"]Can somebody tell me when to except malt to be less energatic? I am sure it has something to do with the gender as well, I have a 2 and a half year old male.
Does your malt move away from you when you approach them? In other words, let's say you are in a room with him/her and he/she shows interest in being with you, once you approach them (say come) then he /she pushes back and move away from you???I found this very strange in my malt boy.[/quote]

Hi Bailey,
My 2 year old Malty boy ALWAYS moves back when I try to approach him. He is doing that since he was 8 weeks old and I thought that he will grow out of it but NADA..:-)
My 1 year old malty boy NEVER does that ! Isn't it interesting? I think it's part of their personality and also a play thing.
My older is a litlle bit shy and insecure and he always needs to make sure that I am not going to pick him up or taking him to the grooming room so I guess that's why he moves away from me. It can also be a play, they want us to chase them 24X7

My little one is very secure, He is the Alpha dog and when I bend down to pet him, he ALWAYS come closer to me and even jump on my laps so I can pick him up. He is the secure guy so I guess that's why he always let me come close and hold him.

As far as energy. My older boy is much much clamer now at 2 years old. He was never crazy but just more playfull.
My younger is a ball of energy and I don't see him calming down in the next 10 years.. LOL :-)
So it's also part of their own temperament and personality. I have seen Maltese that are a couch potato and I have seen energizers that never stop running anf playing like crazy (my younger for example). So it really depends..

I went to visit a maltese breeder just recenlty and she had a litter of 4 maltese. 3 of them were so playfull and energetic while the last one was soooo mellow, so different!!!

Anyway, enjoy your little boy, perhaps he enjoy being a baby..:-)
Malta2Boys

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs