Discipline, Biting, Barking, Anxiety Attacks

malteseforum.com is a way to find and share information. You can ask questions on any Maltese dog topic, get answers from real people, and share your insights and experience. Sponsored by the largest and most active Maltese dog website in the world. Professionally moderated.

Discipline, Biting, Barking, Anxiety Attacks

Postby gmak » Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 pm

hey all,
we have an 8 month maltese puppy and she's barking at every little thing. why is this? i've heard that as puppies get older they tend to be more alert and start to bark at everything that moves or make noises. how can we limit the barking.
also, our puppy bites (play bites mostly) but sometimes she bites to the point of actually leaving a mark.
lastly, her anxiety attacks. she starts growling like crazy and running around in circles. is this normal, and what causes it???
but my main issue is discipline. how can we teach her to not bark, not bite, and do basic commands like sit and stay?
gmak

Re: Discipline, Biting, Barking, Anxiety Attacks

Postby doggyluver4 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi! I think most of your problems will be addressed if you sign up for a basic obedience class session. Pretty well all of these problems are normal and your obedience teacher will be able to tell you how to handle them.
Good Luck......Joyce
doggyluver4

Postby Massimosmom » Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 am

I have a male who is only 5 months but I notice that when he starts to act up he is usually telling me something. For instance, when he bites, he is actually hungry. What has been working best however is taking him out for a vigorous run, which for a little Maltese can be just five or ten minutes. However, longer walks are great at releasing their energy and my guy is always ready to just sleep and be held when adequately walked. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Massimosmom

Postby DixieQuity » Wed May 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Hello,

I just got a 5 month old Maltese she is a very good girl. I use to have poms years ago and I know that most of the lil dogs are very bad barkers and it gets worse as they get older. I have trained mine to know what the fly swatter is. All you have to do is get the fly swatter and when your baby starts to bark more than a few seconds (15) tell him to hush. If it keeps barking take and swat it with the fly swatter. I would let them bark if they heard something outside or if they were happy to see us but not to just bark and bark. It got to were all I had to do was say " fly swatter' and they would hush up. If you do this every time you will have a quiter house.

The worst thing people can do with any dog is to let them bite on their hands. Some will grow out of it but some get worse. I have always had a toy in my hand while playing with my dogs so they don't think my hand is a bitting toy.( works on kittens and cats also) If they are biting to be bad or mean try distracting them with a toy it that doesn't work, then get the fly swatter back out :) As far as the anxiety attacks maybe you can try playing with a toy to distract him or even holding him until he settles down. Good Luck, Bree
DixieQuity

Postby Malta2Boys » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:03 pm

I am sure that everyone will suggest taking your pup to an obediance classes which is good but I have to tell you that from my own experience it didn't help at all and even made my boy more anxious cause he is scared of dogs..
I have 2 boys. One is good, big barker but not aggressive at all. He will get along with dogs no problem. My older one is extremely fearfull aggressive. He hates dogs, he is scared to death from other dogs so will try to bite them constantly. I took him to classes, I called a private trainer - NADA !!! I think he is unbalanced and something is wrong with him since birth. There is not much to do with me or the way I raise him (he is one little spoiled baby!!!).
When I got him at 8 weeks old - he attacked me !! I knew that something is badly wrong with him but it was too late for me to do anything, I was in love !!! He is the love of my life but he also makes my life very difficult.

I don't know what to suggest you besides good leadership and hope that she will stop this behaviour.
If she has some kind of a mental defect..... it's a different case..... maybe you should talk to an animal behaviourist, better than a trainer I think..
Malta2Boys

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:54 pm

I have almost a 3 yr old male. I have hired a private trainer and it helped some with his excessive barking, but we keep him on leash specially when we have company. the thing is you have to be very consistent with your training, mine has a short attention spam, so I have to constantly remind him I am the boss! For example, the trainer said never let him leave the room before you, well he still tries to but I have to pull the leash and say "stay" then I go out first and invite him to follow me. I know he is so cute and that's the reason we still have him. He just doesn't like others and dogs just want to be with me... that's not possible b/c thre are 4 of us in the house and he needs to respect every one of us as pack leader!!!! agian take lots of time and consistancy. Good luck.
Bailey

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:55 pm

I have almost a 3 yr old male. I have hired a private trainer and it helped some with his excessive barking, but we keep him on leash specially when we have company. the thing is you have to be very consistent with your training, mine has a short attention spam, so I have to constantly remind him I am the boss! For example, the trainer said never let him leave the room before you, well he still tries to but I have to pull the leash and say "stay" then I go out first and invite him to follow me. I know he is so cute and that's the reason we still have him. He just doesn't like others and dogs just want to be with me... that's not possible b/c thre are 4 of us in the house and he needs to respect every one of us as pack leader!!!! agian take lots of time and consistancy. Good luck.
Bailey

Postby Cwhedon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 pm

I have hired a personal trainer for my 18 month old male Maltese. He came and worked with us for an hour one day and then offered to take the fee of that hour off for a week (5 days) of training at his facility. I agreed. And I am very happy to say that we have one more day of training (unless we decide to go for another week) and Puppy Dog is doing so much better!

The main thing is to teach your puppy some command that will make him stop whatever he is doing, like "Sit!" Then reward him for that and give him a treat and praise him! Anytime he/she is doing something unacceptable issue the command in a strong voice (I have to stand up and point my finger at my baby in order for it to take full effect). Then, reward with a treat and work with him/her a few minutes, luring them into a sit, sit up, lay down with treats. After a while they will "get it". Try not to freak out (as I certainly did on many occasions!), and just stay calm and keep treats on hand.

Good luck! :)

Cyndi
Cwhedon

Return to Discussion of Maltese Dogs